The Commissioner and the COSICA team do not provide services. The principal responsibility of the Commissioner is to promote the interests of Victims and Survivors of historical institutional childhood abuse in line with the recommendations following from the HIA report.
The Commissioner has a duty to encourage the provision and co-ordination of relevant services in Northern Ireland and provide information on how to access services and support. These are services that:
- improve physical or mental health
- help to overcome addiction
- provide counselling
- improve literacy or numeracy
- provide other education and training or enable a person to access opportunities to work.
The Commissioner must also monitor facilities currently available in Northern Ireland that provide Victims and Survivors with:
- counselling and information about how to access
- health services
- housing services
- education services or employment services
- and those facilities which provide advice on
- opportunities for education or work or
- entitlements to housing or social security benefits.